Setting up native VPN for Android - Feinberg School of Medicine use only
The Northwestern VPN allows you to connect to the Northwestern network when you're off campus. As a member of the Feinberg School of Medicine, you must use the native VPN client on your Android device to connect to VPN.
Northwestern IT is aware of VPN access issues from China. We tried implementing workarounds by changing our VPN public IP. However, within a few days of these workarounds Northwestern VPN was blocked again by the Chinese telecommunications agency. At the present time, we cannot provide a solution to using Northwestern VPN in China because the Chinese telecommunications agency continually searches for and blocks Northwestern VPN servers. We have heard anecdotally from some people that using a third party VPN service has worked for them, but we cannot confirm which, if any services, will work.
- Select Settings > Wireless and Networks > More... > VPN
- Select the + icon at the top of the screen to add a new VPN network.
- In the Edit VPN profilescreen, enter the following information:
- Name: Northwestern VPN
- Type: L2TP/IPSec PSK
- Server Address: vpn-nu.vpn.northwestern.edu
- IPSec pre-shared key: northwesternvpn
- Tap Save. Northwestern VPN should now appear in the list of available VPN networks.
- To connect to the Northwestern VPN, select Northwestern VPN and enter your NetID and NetID password.