Setting up native VPN for iOS (iPhone or iPad) - Feinberg School of Medicine use only
The Northwestern VPN allows you to connect to the Northwestern network when you're off campus. As a member of the Feinberg School of Medicine, you must use the native VPN client on your iOS device to connect to VPN.
Northwestern IT is aware of VPN access issues from China. We tried implementing workarounds by changing our VPN public IP. However, within a few days of these workarounds Northwestern VPN was blocked again by the Chinese telecommunications agency. At the present time, we cannot provide a solution to using Northwestern VPN in China because the Chinese telecommunications agency continually searches for and blocks Northwestern VPN servers. We have heard anecdotally from some people that using a third party VPN service has worked for them, but we cannot confirm which, if any services, will work.
- Tap Settings > General > VPN
Click Add VPN Configuration and enter the following information:
To connect to Northwestern VPN, tap Settings, and then turn the VPN switch to the On position.
- Change type to L2TP
- Enter Northwestern VPN in the Description field
- Enter vpn-nu.vpn.northwestern.edu in the Server field
- Enter your NetID in the Account field
- Enter your NetID password in the Password field
- Enter northwesternvpn (case sensitive) in the Secret field.
- Select Done.