Configuring your email client when transitioning to Office 365/Exchange
Northwestern has begun the transition to cloud-based Microsoft Exchange email as part of the adoption of O365 suite of software. If your email and calendar have migrated, this article can help you configure your mail clients on all your devices. If you have Outlook email client software installed and running On-Premises Exchange, you will not need a fresh install of that client software.
Outlook for Windows:
- Open Outlook for Windows on your desktop
- A Windows Security window will appear. Enter your Northwestern email address, followed by your Net ID password
- Click “Remember my Credentials”, then OK
- Northwestern Online Passport appears. Enter ads\netid and your NetID password in their corresponding fields, then click Sign In
- Outlook will begin syncing to the server, loading your mail and calendar data.
Outlook for macOS:
- Open Outlook and click Get Started
- A message indicating “Outlook was redirected to the server autodiscover…” will appear. Click Allow.
- Note: if a message indicating “Mail could not be received at this time…” appears, click Yes to try again
Outlook for Android:
- From the Settings menu, select Accounts & sync (this application may be named Accounts on some versions of Android).
- Select Corporate (this option may be named Exchange or Exchange ActiveSync on some versions of Android).
- Tap the Remove Account button.
- At the prompt confirm that you really want to delete the account.
- From the Settings menu, select Accounts sync (this application may be named Accounts on some versions of Android) then Add Account
- Select Corporate (this option may be named Exchange or Exchange ActiveSync on some versions of Android)
- Enter your Northwestern Exchange e-mail address and your NetID password
- Tap Next
- Enter the following account information:
- Domain\Username: Your Northwestern Exchange e-mail address. If Domain and Username are separate text boxes in your version of Android, leave the Domain box blank and enter your full Northwestern Exchange e-mail address in the Username box.
- Password: Your NetID password
- Exchange Server: outlook.office365.com
- Check “Use secure connection (SSL)” and “Accept all SSL certificates”
- Once your device has verified your account with Office 365 Email Calendar, you may be presented with a Remote security administration warning indicating that our Office 365 Email Calendar policies will enforce password-protection on your device. If you do, just tap OK to dismiss it.
- Mail checking frequency: The default value is Automatic (push). When you select this option, e-mail messages will be sent to your phone as they arrive in your mailbox. We recommend only selecting this option if you have an unlimited data plan
- Days to sync: This is the amount of mail you want to keep on your mobile phone. You can choose from several length options, including one day, three days, and one week.
- Sync contacts from this account: If you select this option, your contacts will be synchronized between your phone and your Exchange account
Outlook for iOS
- Install Outlook for iOS from the App Store
- Open Outlook and tap Add Account
- If Outlook finds your existing Northwestern Exchange account, skip to step 6
- Enter your @northwestern.edu email address then tap Sign In with Office 365
- Northwestern Online Passport page will appear. Log in using ads\netid then your Net ID password
- If prompted to add another account, tap Maybe Later
- Intro pages will appear, skip or view as desired
- A prompt to enable notifications will appear, Turn on or say No Thanks, as desired
Apple Mail for iOS
- Tap Settings
- Tap Passwords Accounts
- Tap Add Account
- Tap Exchange
- Enter your Northwestern email address in the Email field
- Enter Northwestern Exchange in the Description field
- Tap Next
- Tap “Sign In” when prompted to in the window that appears
- The Northwestern Online Passport will appear. Enter ads\netid in the User ID field then type your netid password in the password
- Tap Accept when Permissions requested appears
Android Mail client (Gmail app)
- Open Gmail App
- Tap the Menu icon in the upper left-hand corner. (Hamburger Icon)
- Tap Add Account
- Under Set Up email, tap Exchange and Office 365
- When prompted, enter email@example.com in the email field, then tap Next
- Enter your net id password in the password field
- Tap Save when prompted to save your Northwestern email address to Gmail
- An alert will appear Redirect request: To configure your account, Gmail…” Tap OK
- In the server field type autodiscover.northwestern.edu
- Port should default to 443; Security type is SSL/TLS
- A message saying “Validating server settings…” will appear
- Click OK when asked if you want to finish setting up the account
- When prompted to Activate device admin app? tap “Activate this device admin app”
- You will see a message saying “Your account is set up and email is on its way!” Tap Next
- The screen will display a flashing progress bar under “Getting your messages…”. Allow sufficient time for the account to fully synch