Managing group permissions using the Self-Service Group Management tool
The Self-Service Group Management Tool (Cayosoft) allows you to manage system permissions and membership in Active Directory (AD) groups through a simple user interface. If you are an owner of an Exchange Distribution List, SMB Research group, or a Box group, use this tool to manage permissions to your list/group via Active Directory. Note that you cannot manage NUValidate/NetID groups using this tool.
Log in at https://adsselfservice.it.northwestern.edu using your NetID and NetID password. You must use VPN if you want to use this tool from off campus.
Viewing groups I own
- From the left pane, select My Organization > My AD Groups
- Leave all search fields blank, then click Search. The list of all groups you own will be displayed.
Adding people to groups I own
- To the left of the group you wish to make changes to, click the checkmark
- In the Actions panel to the right, select Membership
- In the Find field, enter the Name, Net ID or email address of the user you wish to add to your group, then click Add.
- Click the checkmark to the left of the user you wish to add
- Click Select, then click Update
Removing people from groups I own
- Click the checkmark to the left of the group you wish to make changes to
- Click Membership in the Actions column to the right of your groups
- Scroll to find the user you wish to remove
- Click the checkmark to the left of the users' entry
- Click Remove Member(s), then click Update
Signing out of the AD Group Management Tool
- At the upper right of your window, locate your NetID beneath the Person icon
- Click the Person icon then click Sign Out
Group Owner Assignment in Cayosoft*
- *Only Applicable to Active Directory Administrators
- Locate and select the group in Active Directory Users and Computers (ADUC). See Viewing groups I own, above for help with this.
- Click on the checkbox to select the group then click Properties
- In the Managed By (Owner) field, enter the name of the individual or group who will manage the group in Cayosoft.
- Click apply.
- Internet Explorer is not recommended. Use Mozilla Firefox or Google Chrome instead.
- The Change History report shows a blank value in the Previous Value column.
- When adding multiple users to a group, enter one or more net id's, names or email addresses separated by a ; (semi-colon). Using anything other than a semi-colon when adding more than one user at a time will cause nothing to happen. No alerts or errors will appear.
- If you manage more groups than shown in the display dropdown, you will not see all of your groups. Set default to All if needed.
- The Display Name field may be blank prior to saving changes to a group. The field populates once saved.
- There is a 20-minute delay for changes to replicate between OWA and the Self-Service Group management interfaces
- Logging in to the tool from mobile devices is not supported.