Troubleshooting issues with attachments in listserv messages
Common issues affecting attachments in listserv messages can be resolved by reducing attachment sizes and modifying the message type.
Embedded images or PDFs are removed or replaced with text
In order for embedded images or PDFs to appear in a listserv message, the message must be sent in HTML format. If you have previously sent a message to a listserv in plaintext format, Outlook will send all future messages in plaintext, removing your PDFs and images. To resolve this issue, you can force Outlook to send messages in HTML format:
- Create a new message as if you're going to send an email.
- In the To: box, begin typing the listserv's email address
- Wait for the auto-complete to come down, and click the black X to the right of the email address.
- Ensure the message is formatted in HTML by clicking the Format Text tab at the top of the window, then choosing HTML in the Format box.
- Finally, type the listserv's email address again (this time without autocomplete), write your message, and send it.
The message should come through formatted correctly, and all further messages should follow HTML format.
Error messages or message does not go through when sending attachment
The combined total size limit for all attachments on a listserv message is 5 MB. If you have one or more files which exceed this size, you may receive an error message when sending these attachments to a listserv. Consider the following alternatives to avoid this file size limit:
- For PDFs, use the steps for Reducing the size of a PDF in Adobe Acrobat
- For photos, use your photo editing software to reduce quality and reduce size
- Upload the file(s) to Northwestern Box, and attach a Shared Link to the listserv message using instructions for Sharing files and folders in Northwestern Box