Managing inbox rules for your @northwestern.edu (Office 365) account using Outlook 2016/2013 for Windows
Inbox rules can be used to filter, forward, or automatically delete incoming emails based on specifications you set.
Create an inbox rule
- Select Home > Rules > Manage Rules and Alerts > New rule.
In the Step 1: Create a template menu, select the type of rule you wish to create and click Next.
- Click the check box next to the condition(s) you wish to trigger the rule.
In Step 2: Edit the rule description, click any required link(s). In this example, the required links are from people or public group, because we need to select the people and/or public group(s) to whom the rule applies, and specified, because we need to specify to which folder to move messages.
- Your selections will appear in the Step 2 window. Verify they are correct and click Next.
Select the action(s) you want Outlook to take in the Step 1: Select action(s) menu and click Next.
- Select any exception(s) you want to apply to the rule in the Step 1: Select exception(s) menu and click Next.
- If you want the rule to apply to messages already in your mailbox, select Run this rule now on messages already in “Inbox”. If you want to apply the rule to future messages, select Turn on this rule. You can select both these choices.
- Click Finish to complete the wizard and apply your new rule.
Modify an inbox rule
- Select Home > Rules > Manage Rules and Alerts, select the rule you want to modify, select Change rule > Edit Rule Settings...
- Modify the inbox rule as desired. Press Finish when completed.
- Select Apply to apply your modification.
Delete an inbox rule
- Select Home > Rules > Manage Rules and Alerts, select the rule you want to modify, select Delete
- When the confirmation screen appears, select Yes.