Placing a security hold on a NetID in NUValidate
NetIDs for employees, students and affiliates go through a staged deactivation process as detailed at the NetID expiration guidelines page. If you need to disable a NetID immediately, you can place a security hold on the NetID which will prevent it from accessing any systems or services. Placing a security hold does not disable services like email for the NetID, it just prevents the NetID from accessing them. Services are still deactivated according to the schedule previously referenced.
- If placing hold on an employee NetID, verify that they do not have an assertion as a current student on their NetID. If they do, you cannot place a security hold and access to individual systems will need to be terminated from the employee's access.
- Double-check to make sure that you are placing the hold on the correct individual by verifying a match between the name, NetID and position.
- Log in to NUValidate at northwestern.edu/login.
- In the upper left corner of the page click the Menu icon > Manage Access > Security Hold.
- In the search field below Select Identities from the list, enter a NetID, partial name, SES ID, EmplID or email address and click the magnifying glass.
- To enter more search criteria instead, click Advanced Search > Search.
- Click the row containing the identity on which you are placing the hold.
- Verify that you are viewing the correct identity!
- Enter a comment indicating reason for security hold, who requested and support request ID if applicable and click Continue > Submit Request. A confirmation message will be sent to you via email.