Managing access to a former employee's data
Northwestern IT can grant access to a voice mailbox, email mailbox, Northwestern Box folders, or set up an auto-reply message on a departed employee's email account. However, we require email authorization from Human Resources before we can grant this access.
If the person still has access to Box
- Log in to Box at https://box.northwestern.edu.
- Go to the folder(s) you would like to transfer ownership of.
- If there is a lot of content, you can create a new folder and drag-and-drop all of your folders inside it before proceeding.
- Single left-click the folder. The Sharing details will appear on the right side of the screen.
- If the folder is already shared with the person you'd like to make co-owner, skip to step 5. If not:
- Click Share this Folder
- Enter the person's name or email address and click on them in the search result
- Click Send
- Once the prospective owner has access to the folder, click on the three dots to the right of their name. A permissions level box appears.
- Click Owner.
- If Owner is not available, you may not be the owner of the folder you are trying to share.
- A warning box will appear. Click OK.
- Ownership of the content will be transferred to the other person. You, as the owner, will be downgraded to an Editor.
If the person no longer has access to Box
- Name and email address of the departed employee
- Business justification for access to the email, voicemail or Box account
- Name and email address of the individual that will need access to the account
- Verbiage for the auto-reply message, if applicable