Limiting who can send to a listserv
To encourage dialogue or to cut down on unnecessary messages, you can change a listserv's settings to limit the group that can send messages to a listserv.
- Log in to the Northwestern Listserv Web Interface at https://listserv.it.northwestern.edu .
- On the top menu bar, click List Management.
- From the dropdown menu, hover over List Configuration and click List Configuration Tasks.
- Under Select List, choose the list you want to manage.
- Click on the Security tab.
- Scroll down to the Send= dropdown box. You can change it to any of the following:
- Postmaster - not recommended; Only the postmaster (i.e. LISTSERV operations staff) can send to the list.
- Private - Only people who are subscribed to the list may send mail or files to the list.
- Editor - Only a pre-defined Editor (or Editors) can send mail or files to the list. Any messages sent by non-Editors will need to be approved by an Editor or Moderator before being distributed to list subscribers. Note that you must specify an Editor in the listserv configuration for this option to work.
- Owner - Only the owners can send mail or files to the list.
- Service - not recommended; Only people in the service area of the list can send to the list.