Restoring a previous version of a file or folder from a Research Data Storage Service share location
Research Data Storage Service provides campus researchers the ability to subscribe to a minimum of one Terabyte (TB) of desktop mountable storage for research purposes. This storage should be used when storing files larger than 15 GB or when using regulated data, such as PHI, PII, etc. This article gives instructions on how to restore previous versions of a file or folder.
To access previous versions of a file, access the Properties of the particular folder (or file) through a shared folder, and then select the Previous Versions tab. The Previous Versions tab will list the previous versions of the file. This tab is only displayed if you access the Properties of the particular folder (or file) through a shared folder. This action must be done using a Microsoft Windows computer. The tasks which can be performed from the Previous Versions tab are:
- To view a read-only previous version of a specific file, click the View button on the Previous Versions tab
- To copy a previous version of a particular file to a different location, click the Copy button on the Previous Versions tab. When the Copy Items dialog box opens, specify the location to which you want to copy the previous version of the file
- To replace the current version of a particular file with a previous version of the file, click the Restore button on the Previous Versions tab. Click Yes, to the message which appears, warning you that current version the file will be replaced with this particular previous version of the file
To access shadow copies from a MS-Windows client:
- Open Windows Explorer
- Right-click the particular network share
- Click Properties from the shortcut menu
- Click the Previous Versions tab
- Click the previous version (folder or file) which you want to work with.
- Select one of the following buttons:
- Click Open to view a previous file version
- Click Copy to copy the shadow copy to a different location
- Click Restore to replace the existing version with a previous version.