Managing user access to Research Data Storage Service share locations
Research Data Storage Service provides campus researchers the ability to subscribe to a minimum of one Terabyte (TB) of desktop mountable storage for research purposes. This storage should be used when storing files larger than 15 GB or when using regulated data, such as PHI, PII, etc. This article gives instructions on how to manage access to your shares using Exchange public groups instead of having to grant access to individuals. The groups are managed using the Outlook Web App (OWA). Note: Users whose email has transitioned to 0365 should refer to this article to manage groups using the AD Group Management tool.
- From the upper right hand corner click the Gear icon and select Options.
- From the left navigation menu click Groups to view the groups you belong to or own.
- From the list titled distribution groups I own, double-click the group name you want to modify.
- Within the distribution groups window that opens, modify settings and/or membership by clicking the setting name.
- Display Name: The group name cannot be changed.
- Alias: The group's email address, firstname.lastname@example.org cannot be changed.
- Description: This optional field provides a description of the group. Only group owners may alter this field.
- Click the + sign, and select the owner you wish to add from the list that appears. Note that a group must have at least one owner.
- Click Save when you're done.
- To add a member, click the + sign, and select the member you wish to add from the list that appears.
- To remove a member, click the member, then click the - sign.
- Click Save when you're done.
- Select the type of Membership Approval you want.
- Open allows anyone to join with no approval.
- Closed requires Group Owners to add all new members and automatically rejects requests to join.
- Owner Approval routes requests to join to Group Owners, who then accept or deny the request.
- To restrict who can send messages to this group, click the + sign, and select the Member you wish to give sending rights from the list that appears.
- By default, the list is blank and anyone can message this group; once a name is added to the list, only members appearing in the list may message the group.
- Click the checkbox next to “Messages sent to this group have to be approved by a moderator” to make all message sent to the group require moderator approval.
- Group Moderators: To add moderators to the group, click the + sign, and select a moderator from the list that appears.
- Senders who don’t require message approval: To exempt some senders from moderator approval, click the + sign, and select an exempted sender from the list.
- Select Moderation Notifications: Choose to notify all senders when messages aren’t approved, only notify senders within Northwestern, or to send no notification for messages that aren’t approved.
- All emails that will direct messages to members of the group are listed here.
- Type a MailTip in the text box.
- The MailTip will appear in the infobar for OWA users when they the group is included in the To line of a message being composed.