Connecting a game system, printer, or media device to the Internet
The Device-Northwestern wireless network allows devices such as game systems, printers, and media devices (e.g., AppleTV, Chromecast and Roku) to access to the Internet. Don't use this network for your computer, tablet or phone because it does not have the same level of security as the Northwestern or eduroam wireless networks.
- Before you set up your device to access the wireless Device-Northwestern network, you must register its MAC address using your computer while you are on campus:
- Find your device’s wireless MAC address. If you don’t know how to find it, see our instructions for various game systems and media devices at http://kb.northwestern.edu/find-mac-address. You may need to consult your printer's manual for specific instructions.
- Go to https://device.wireless.northwestern.edu and log in with your NetID and NetID password.
- Enter your device’s wireless MAC address.
- Give your device a descriptive name (e.g., “Willie’s printer”).
- If you want to share your personal device, check the Device Sharing checkbox and follow the prompts. Sharing to the Northwestern network allows your device to be accessed from computers, phones, and tablets connected to the Northwestern wireless network. Use the Sharing Options so you (and others) can print to your wireless printer from the Northwestern wireless network.
- If you are registering a departmental device, go to https://www.it.northwestern.edu/secure/forms/wireless-device-registration.html and complete the registration form so Northwestern IT network engineers can define the device’s campus location and confirm sharing permissions.
Once you’ve registered your device, set it up to use the Device-Northwestern network (using instructions from your device's user manual), and it will automatically connect. Note that if you don't use a device on the Device-Northwestern network for one year, its registration will be removed, and you will need to re-register it.
- 1838 Chicago
- 560 Lincoln
- Goodrich House