Registering and managing your devices for Duo multi-factor authentication
You can register any call- or SMS-capable device for Multi-Factor Authentication (MFA), though we highly recommend using the Duo Mobile app for convenience. Please use a computer or separate device to register and have your authentication device handy to complete the registration process. A stable network connection (WiFi or data) is recommended.
Register a device for the first time
- On your computer, navigate to https://www.northwestern.edu/mfa-register.
- Click Start Setup. Note that once you start the registration process, you cannot stop!
- Select the type of device you would like to set up and click Continue. Then, follow the on-screen instructions to configure your device to accept authentication prompts.
Manage your Duo devices
- On your computer, navigate to any Duo MFA login page (i.e. CAESAR for students, myHR for faculty/staff).
- Click Other options.
- Click Manage devices.
To add or remove a device from your existing Duo account, please ensure that you have a registered device available. You will need to accept an authentication request to verify your identity to make changes to your account.
Add a new device
- Click on the Add a device tile.
- Select your desired authentication method and follow the on-screen prompts to configure your new device. Once complete, the new device should show as a separate tile on your Devices dashboard.
Register a new phone with an existing number
- Wait for the authentication request to time out, or click I have a new phone.
- Click Text me a link to receive an SMS activation URL.
- On your phone, tap the link to open Duo Mobile to reactivate the profile.
Remove a device
- On the upper right-hand corner of the device you would like to remove, click Edit.
- Click Delete. If you only have one device registered, the option to delete will not be visible.
- Click Delete again to confirm the removal of the device tile.