Add New Supplier – Independent Contractor - in NUFinancials
This article explains the supplier registration process.
Add New Supplier – Independent Contractor
The Supplier Registration process contains four steps. It starts with a Welcome step, which contains links to forms you will need to add a new independent contractor. The Independent Contractor Questionnaire needs to be completed, submitted to, and approved by Human Resources before the supplier request is entered into NUFinancials.
There are four types of Suppliers registered at Northwestern University.
3. Independent Contractor
4. Refund and Reimbursement
Independent Contractor is used for individuals and sole proprietors who are not paid wages by NU within the last 12 months or current calendar year.
- IRS Form W-9 – sent to the Supplier for completion
- Conflict of Interest (COI) completed by the submitting department
- Independent Contractor Questionnaire (ICQ) completed by the submitting department
The process requires the completion of the Independent Contractor Questioner (ICQ) and an evaluation by HR to determine if an individual is an Independent Contractor or whether an employer-employee relationship exists. After the ICQ review, you will be instructed to hire or process the payment through Payroll, or to make a supplier (vendor code) request through Vendor File Management and payment through NUFinancials.
For questions, contact the Vendor File Maintenance team at (847) 491-4707.
Navigation to the NUFinancials
1. Go to https://nufin.northwestern.edu
2. Log in using your NetID(User Name) and Password
Note: Every user will have to do a Multi-Factor Authentication (MFA) in order to access NUFinancials. For information on MFA, click here.
Step 1: New Supplier Registration
Navigation: NUFinancials>NavBar > Navigator > Suppliers > Supplier Registration > Register Suppliers > New Supplier Registration
1. Select “Start a new registration form”.
2. Select “Supplier/Independent Contract”
3. Click “Next”
Step 2: Identifying Information
In Identifying Information, enter information for the independent contractor, attach supporting documents, answer profile questions, and add any comments.
1. Enter the Unique ID and Company Profile
· Tax Identification Number (numbers only, no letters or hyphens).
· Enter the person's full name in the Entity Name.
· In Classification dropdown box, select Independent Contractor.
2. Click on Add attachment. (Follow the steps to browse and upload each document.) The completed Conflict of Interest (COI) form should be attached here.
· Click Upload
· Click Choose File
· Click Upload
3. Add more attachments if necessary by clicking on the + icon or remove them by clicking - icon.
4. Click Return.
5. Click on the search icon to search the Payment Purpose(s).
6. Select Rents, Royalties, Research Subject Payments, or Non-Employee Compensation from the list.
7. Click Return.
8. To choose a dispatch method, click the search icon on the second profile question.
A Look Up List will appear
9. Choose Email or Fax from the list and click on the list item.
· Once you click on the List item, it will automatically populate on the Profile questions.
10. Add comments under Comments section explaining what you are using the vendor for.
11. Click Next.
Step 3: Addresses
1. Enter the Primary Address for the independent contractor.
2. If the contractor has a different address for where payments or invoices should be sent (which is uncommon for individuals), select the applicable box and enter the addresses.
3. Click “Next”.
Step 4: Submit
1. If you are ready to submit, enter or confirm the email address regarding communications about this request.
2. Click the Terms of Agreement check box (this will be more applicable in the future state when suppliers are submitting their own requests)
3. Click Submit.
You will receive a confirmation of your submission. You can search for the submission by this “Registration ID” number later.