Managing inbox rules for your @northwestern.edu (Microsoft 365) account using Outlook Web App (OWA)
Inbox rules can be used to filter, forward, or automatically delete incoming emails based on specifications you set. Using Outlook Web App (OWA) is the easiest way to create, modify, and delete Inbox Rules.
Note: OWA works best in Internet Explorer. Using other browsers can cause an error where the Inbox Rule box seems to load forever. If you don't have access to Internet Explorer, try Safari or Firefox. Inbox rules cannot be set up using Chrome due to a browser incompatibility.
- In the top-right corner of the screen click the Gear icon and select Options.
- Select Organize Email on the left side of the screen and make sure you are in the Inbox Rules tab.
Create an inbox rule
- Click the + symbol and select an option.
- In the window that appears, complete the following:
- Enter a Name for your inbox rule
- Select an action from the drop-down menu.
- Click Select People.
- You can also add email addresses directly into the From list.
- Click OK when finished.
Modify an inbox rule
- Click the Inbox Rule you want to modify. Do not select the box next to the rule.
- Click the pencil icon.
- Modify the inbox rule by altering the drop-down boxes provided. Select Save when finished.
- Verify that it is turned on via the check next to the rule.
Delete an inbox rule
- Click the Inbox Rule that you want to delete. Do not select the box next to the rule.
- Click the trash can icon.
- When the confirmation screen appears, select Yes.