Creating and managing Northwestern Box Groups
Northwestern Box Groups are designed so you can manage access to files or folders using a group rather than adding individual users. Individuals are added as members of a Box Group, and then documents and folders can be shared with the group. When people join and leave the group, rather than having to remove them from the permissions of each individual document, you can add or remove them from the Box Group and their access to all of the documents shared with the group will change accordingly. Note: Users whose email has transitioned to 0365 should refer to this article to manage groups using the AD Group Management tool.
Create a Box Group
Modify Box Group Members
- Log into your Northwestern email account using Outlook Web App (OWA)
- Note: We suggest that you complete these steps in Firefox or Internet Explorer, as Chrome sometimes has issues when modifying settings.
Share Content with a Box Group
- Log in to your Box account at box.northwestern.edu .
- Single left-click the file or folder you want to share with your group. This will bring up the Sharing menu on the right.
- At the bottom of the Sharing menu, click Share this Folder, then click Invite Collaborators.
- In addition to inviting individuals using their email address or name, you can type the name of the Box group, exactly as it appears in the Outlook Web App.
- Modify the Invitee Permissions as necessary. For a list of different permissions levels, click the Learn More link next to the permissions drop-down menu.
- Once you have selected your group, click Send Invites and the group members will receive an email notification indicating that content has been shared with them.