Using an external password for Northwestern Box
To sign into your Northwestern Box account without using your NetID and password, you may follow the steps below to create an external password that is different from your NetID password.
- Log in to your Northwestern Box account at http://box.northwestern.edu using your NetID and password, as normal.
- In the top right corner, click on the circle with your initials in it, then click Account Settings from the drop-down menu.
- In the Account tab, scroll down until you see the Authentication section.
- To the right of this section, click Change Password. Enter a secure password that the strength bar registers as "Strong".
- In the top right corner, click Save Changes.
If you have forgotten your external password:
- Navigate to https://www.box.com/reset and enter the email address used for your Northwestern Box account.
- Box will send you a link to change the password. Click that link to reset your external password.
Benefits of having an external password:
- Having an external password ensures continued access to your files if your Northwestern email address changes.
- Some apps do not support Single Sign-On (SSO).
- Linux systems require an external password to set up Northwestern Box access via HTTPS or WebDAV/DAVFS.