Connecting to eduroam on Windows
You should be able to connect automatically to the eduroam Wireless Network with YourNetID@northwestern.edu (i.e., if your NetID is abc123, then you would enter firstname.lastname@example.org) as the username and your NetID password as the password through your Network Preferences. If you were not prompted to connect, you can manually configure your connection. If you are from another university, you may need to consult your university's support documentation regarding credentials to connect to eduroam at Northwestern.
- Click the Network icon in the lower right corner of your screen.
- Click eduroam then click Connect.
- Enter YourNetID@northwestern.edu as the Username and your NetID password as the password. If you are visiting from another institution that also uses Eduroam, enter your credentials from there.
- Download and install the AddTrust Certificate.
- Open the Control Panel, then click Network and Sharing Center (under Network and Internet).
- Select Set up a new connection or network
- Select Manually connect to a wireless network
- Enter only the following:
- Network name: eduroam
- Security type: WPA2-Enterprise
- Encryption type: AES
- Click Next then select Change connection settings.
- Click the Security tab.
- Under Network Authentication Method, select Protected EAP (PEAP)
- Uncheck Remember my credentials
- Click Settings
- From the Protected EAP Properties window:
- Check Verify the server's identity by validating the certificate
- Uncheck Connect to these Servers
- Verify under Trusted Root Certification Authorities that all AddTrust External CA Root check boxes are selected.
- No other boxes should be selected under Trusted Root Certification Authorities.
- Select Authentication Method: Secured Password (EAP-MSCHAP v2).
- Click Configure
- Uncheck Automatically use my Windows Logon name and password (and domain if any), then click OK.
- Select the Advanced settings in the Northwestern Wireless Network Properties window
- In the Advanced settings window:
- Check Specify authentication mode
- Select User authentication from the drop down menu.
- Select Save credentials
- In the Windows Security window, enter YourNetID@northwestern.edu (this is not your email address) as the Username and your NetID password as the Password, then click OK. If you are visiting from another institution that also uses Eduroam, enter your login credentials from there.
- Connect to eduroam by clicking on the Network button in the lower-right corner of the desktop and selecting eduroam from the list of available networks.