Troubleshooting connection issues with Northwestern Wireless on macOS after a NetID Password change
After you reset your NetID password, you may find that your Mac has lost its access to the Northwestern wireless network. The most common problem relates to the password management system in macOS that stores most login credentials. These are ways to resolve this issue.
- Recreate Wireless Profile
- Delete the wireless profile.
- Click Apple > System Preferences > Network.
- Select Wi-Fi in the left-hand pane, then click Advanced…
- In the Wi-Fi tab, select Northwestern from the list of Preferred Networks, then click the minus sign (-).
- Click OK to close the Advanced Wi-Fi Preference pane.
- Click Apply.
- Configure the wireless profile for macOS.
- Renew DHCP Lease
- Open Network from System Preferences.
- Select the wireless network from the left side.
- Click Advanced in the lower-right corner of the window.
- Select TCP/IP from the tabs at the top.
- Click Renew DHCP Lease.
- Open Keychain Access. (You can find this by searching within Finder or by opening Applications > Utilities.)
- Select Passwords from the categories listed in the lower-left corner of the window.
- Delete any passwords that contain WPA, WPA2, 802.1x, or Northwestern.
- Select Certificates from the categories listed in the lower-left corner of the window.
- Delete any certificates that contain netauth or netauth2.
- Click the folder you wish to change permissions for.
- On the Organize Tab, click Folder Permissions.
- Click the name of the person you wish to change permissions for, or click Add User... to give permission to someone new.
- In the Permission Level dropdown menu, choose your desired access level. Click OK when you're done.
|Owner||Gives full control of the folder; can create/modify/delete/read folder items; create subfolders; and change permissions on the folder.|
|Publishing Editor||Has all rights granted to an Owner, except the right to change permissions; can create/modify/delete/read folder items and create subfolders.|
|Editor||Has all rights granted to a Publishing Editor, except the right to create subfolders; can create/modify/delete/read folder items.|
|Publishing Author||Can create and read folder items and create subfolders but can modify and delete only folder items they create, not items created by others.|
|Author||Has all rights granted to a Publishing Author but cannot create subfolders; can create and read folder items and modify and delete items they create.|
|Nonediting Author||Can create and read folder items but cannot modify or delete any items, including those they create.|
|Reviewer||Can read folder items, but nothing else.|
|Contributor||A Contributor can create only folder items and cannot read items.|