Setting up and using GlobalProtect VPN for iOS (iPhone or iPad)
VPN provides you with secure access to University services and the Internet when you are off campus.
Northwestern is transitioning to a new VPN platform called GlobalProtect. GlobalProtect replaces three existing VPN clients: built-in native VPN clients, Cisco AnyConnect, and Pulse Secure SSL VPN. For details on the transition, see https://www.it.northwestern.edu/about/it-projects/vpn-migration-2019/overview.html. Please note that if you are a member of the Feinberg School of Medicine, you will continue to use your native iOS VPN client.
Note that GlobalProtect requires you to authenticate with your NetID and NetID password and Duo multi-factor authentication. If you need to register a phone for multi-factor authentication, see https://kb.northwestern.edu/mfa.
Northwestern IT is aware of VPN access issues from China. We tried implementing workarounds by changing our VPN public IP. However, within a few days of these workarounds Northwestern VPN was blocked again by the Chinese telecommunications agency. At the present time, we cannot provide a solution to using Northwestern VPN in China because the Chinese telecommunications agency continually searches for and blocks Northwestern VPN servers. We have heard anecdotally from some people that using a third party VPN service has worked for them, but we cannot confirm which, if any services, will work.
Note that your device must be running iOS 10 or later.
- From the App Store, find and download GlobalProtect
- When you open the app, you will be prompted for a portal address. Enter vpn-connect.northwestern.edu.
- When prompted to allow GlobalProtect to set up a VPN configuration, tap Allow.
- Open GlobalProtect and tap Connect.
- When prompted, enter your NetID and NetID password, then confirm your identity with Duo multi-factor authentication. You will then be connected to GlobalProtect.
- To disconnect, open GlobalProtect again, then tap Disconnect.