Setting up and using GlobalProtect VPN for macOS
VPN provides you with secure access to University services and the Internet when you are off campus. Northwestern is transitioning to a new VPN platform called GlobalProtect. GlobalProtect replaces three existing VPN clients: built-in VPN clients, Cisco AnyConnect, and Pulse Secure SSL VPN. For details on the transition, see https://www.it.northwestern.edu/about/it-projects/vpn-migration-2019/overview.html. If you are a member of the Feinberg School of Medicine, you will continue to use your Windows VPN client.
The portal address for GlobalProtect is vpn-connect.northwestern.edu.
GlobalProtect requires you to authenticate with your NetID and NetID password and Duo multi-factor authentication. If you need to register a phone for multi-factor authentication, see https://kb.northwestern.edu/mfa.
If your University-owned computer is managed by your department, you may not need to set up GlobalProtect. If you see the GlobalProtect icon () in your menu bar, skip the set-up instructions and go directly to connect to GlobalProtect.
Set up GlobalProtect
Note that your Mac must be running macOS Catalina (10.15), Mojave (10.14), High Sierra (10.13), or Sierra (10.12).
- Go to https://chocolate.ci.northwestern.edu/Software/Titles/NU_Global_Protect/5.1.4/MacOS/GlobalProtect-5.1.4.pkg to download the GlobalProtect installation package.
- Within your computer's Downloads folder, double-click the downloaded file to begin installation. When prompted, click Continue, then click Install.
- If you see a prompt about a PaloAlto system extension being blocked, click Open Security Preferences.
- Click Allow, then close your preferences window.
- If prompted, enter your computer's administrative user name and password, then click Install Software. If you don't have administrative rights to your University-owned computer, contact your departmental tech support personnel.
- Restart your Mac.
- When the installation finishes, you will be prompted to move the installer the trash.
- You will then be prompted asking for your keychain password. Enter your password and choose Always Allow.
- Click Close. Once installation is complete, GlobalProtect will appear in your menu bar at the top of your macOS desktop.
- Click the GlobalProtect icon in the menu bar, enter portal address vpn-connect.northwestern.edu, then click Connect.
- When prompted, enter your NetID and NetID password, then confirm your identity with Duo multi-factor authentication. You will then be connected to GlobalProtect.
- To disconnect, click the GlobalProtect icon again, then click Disconnect.