Setting up and using GlobalProtect VPN for macOS
VPN provides you with secure access to University services and the Internet when you are off campus. Northwestern is transitioning to a new VPN platform called GlobalProtect. GlobalProtect replaces three existing VPN clients: built-in VPN clients, Cisco AnyConnect, and Pulse Secure SSL VPN. For details on the transition, see https://www.it.northwestern.edu/about/it-projects/vpn-migration-2019/overview.html. If you are a member of the Feinberg School of Medicine, you will continue to use your Windows VPN client.
The portal address for GlobalProtect is vpn-connect.northwestern.edu.
GlobalProtect requires you to authenticate with your NetID and NetID password and Duo multi-factor authentication. If you need to register a phone for multi-factor authentication, see https://kb.northwestern.edu/mfa.
If your University-owned computer is managed by your department, you may not need to set up GlobalProtect. If you see the GlobalProtect icon () in your menu bar, skip the set-up instructions and go directly to connect to GlobalProtect.
Set up GlobalProtect
Note that your Mac must be running macOS Big Sur (11.X), Catalina (10.15), Mojave (10.14), High Sierra (10.13), or Sierra (10.12).
- Go to https://chocolate.ci.northwestern.edu\Software\Titles\NU_Global_Protect\Current\MacOS\GlobalProtect.pkg to download the GlobalProtect installation package.
- Within your computer's Downloads folder, double-click the downloaded file to begin installation. When prompted, click Continue, then click Install.
- If you see a prompt about a PaloAlto system extension being blocked, click Open Security Preferences.
- Click Allow, then close your preferences window.
- If prompted, enter your computer's administrative user name and password, then click Install Software. If you don't have administrative rights to your University-owned computer, contact your departmental tech support personnel.
- Restart your Mac.
- When the installation finishes, you will be prompted to move the installer the trash.
- You will then be prompted asking for your keychain password. Enter your password and choose Always Allow.
- Click Close. Once installation is complete, GlobalProtect will appear in your menu bar at the top of your macOS desktop.
- Click the GlobalProtect icon in the menu bar, enter portal address vpn-connect.northwestern.edu, then click Connect.
- When prompted, enter your NetID and NetID password, then confirm your identity with Duo multi-factor authentication. You will then be connected to GlobalProtect.
- To disconnect, click the GlobalProtect icon again, then click Disconnect.