Modifying your information in the Northwestern online directory

The Northwestern online directory searches and displays results with information obtained from CAESAR, myHR and NU Validate.

  • CAESAR (students): Legal name, preferred name, phone number, current and permanent home addresses
  • myHR (regular faculty/staff): Legal name, professional name, office phone number, office address
  • NUValidate: Nicknames that students, faculty and staff have manually added to NetID records
If you've changed your legal name, you need to follow the Registrar's procedure and/or HR's procedure to make that change in CAESAR or myHR, respectively. If you are a temporary employee, you cannot create a professional name in myHR.

Changing your preferred name in CAESAR (students)

  1. Log in to CAESAR at
  2. From the left hand navigation list, select Names
  3. Next to the Preferred, click the pencil icon
  4. Enter your preferred first and/or middle name and click Save; note that you cannot modify your last name

Changing your current phone in CAESAR (students)

  1. Log in to CAESAR at
  2. From the left hand navigation list, select Phone Numbers
  3. Modify your phone number and click Save

Changing your professional name in myHR (regular staff and faculty)

When you set professional name in myHR, it becomes your primary name. In addition to being shown in the online directory, it also becomes the default display name on your Exchange account.
  1. Log in to myHR at
  2. Select Personal Details > Online Directory
  3. Click Names (Legal, Professional/Published/Spouse)
  4. Enter or edit your Professional/Published Name
  5. Check the Professional Name Indicator checkbox and click Save

Adding or modifying your office phone number in myHR (regular staff and faculty)

  1. Log in to myHR at
  2. Select Personal Details > Contact Details
  3. Under Phone, click + to add a phone, or click an existing phone number to edit it
  4. Enter or edit your Work Phone, check the Preferred checkbox and click Save

Modifying your office location in myHR (regular staff and faculty)

Your office location in the Online Directory is defined on a departmental level. You cannot change this information yourself. You need to talk with the business administrator in your department who has access to myHR. They manage the office locations for your department, and will need to modify your HR record to reflect your new office address. They may need to have a new location created within myHR if you (or your department) has moved to newly built or renovated space.

Adding nicknames to your Online Directory listing (through NUValidate)

  1. Log in to NU Validate at with your NetID and NetID password
  2. Click Edit Online Directory Information
  3. Scroll down to Additional Nicknames
  4. Enter your nickname, then click + to the right to add it.
    • Consider adding any nicknames, misspellings, alternate spellings, or permutations of your name that might make it easier for others to find you. For example, if your first name is Robert, add Bob; if your last name is Anderson, add Andersen; if your name is Britney, add Brittany and Brittney.
  5. When you've finished adding nicknames, click Submit.

For additional assistance please contact the IT Support Center at 847-491-4357 (1-HELP), via chat at or via email at

Keywords:contact find search change name address update phone number LDAP office ModifyInfo   Doc ID:62245
Owner:TSS Tier 2 .Group:Northwestern
Created:2016-03-27 11:33 CDTUpdated:2019-05-15 11:18 CDT
Feedback:  1   6