Managing message filtering by the Email Defense System (EDS)
This document explains how to use various features of Proofpoint's Protection Server (EDS), an advanced spam filter for Exchange (@northwestern.edu) email accounts.
If an email meets quarantine criteria, EDS will move the message to a quarantine area instead of delivering it to the intended inbox. EDS holds quarantined messages for seven days by default before deletion.
EDS can also be configured to always block or always allow certain senders by using the Safe Senders and Blocked Senders lists. Log in to the EDS at https://eds.northwestern.edu/ using your NetID and NetID password.
Delete or Release Quarantined Messages
- The list of quarantined messages is displayed by default after you log in to EDS.
- Click the check box next to each message and click either Delete or Release.
- Deleting a message removes it from quarantine and deletes it permanently.
- Releasing a message removes it from quarantine and delivers it to your email inbox.
Add Safe/Blocked Senders
- In the left navigation menu, click Lists, then the list (Safe Senders or Blocked Senders) you would like to add.
- Safe Senders are known to be legitimate sources of email. EDS will never quarantine messages from these senders.
- Blocked Senders are known to distribute junk email or viruses. EDS quarantines all messages from these senders.
- Click New in the action bar at the top of the window.
- In the open text box, enter the email address of the sender you wish to add to the list.
- Specifying a domain matches all senders from that domain. For example, using the domain example.com, would match: firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, and firstname.lastname@example.org.
- You can use the * and ? characters to match multiple senders. For example, email@example.com will match firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com, while firstname.lastname@example.org will match email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, and email@example.com.
- Email addresses and domain names are not case sensitive.
- The list is limited to two hundred (200) entries.
- Click Save.
Remove Safe/Blocked Senders
- In the left navigation menu, for the Lists tab, click on the list (Safe Senders or Blocked Senders) you would like to edit.
- In the list, select the check box beside the sender(s) you want to remove.
- Click Delete.