Finding the headers of an email message
If you receive spam or phishing emails, having the headers can help Northwestern IT identify and filter these messages. You can locate the full email headers using Outlook, Outlook Web App, Gmail and Apple Mail by following the instructions below.
The full email header contains valuable diagnostic information. If you believe you've received a scam email message and would like to report it, please follow the steps below to include the full email headers in your message, then send it to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Outlook 2016/2013 (Windows)
- Open Outlook.
- Double-click to open the email message in a new window.
- Click the File tab from the menu bar, then click Properties. Full headers will appear in a box within the Properties window.
Outlook 2016 (macOS)
- Open Outlook.
- Right-click the email message from the message list to select it.
- Select View Source. Full headers will appear in a new TextEdit document.
Outlook Web App (OWA)
- Log in to OWA.
- Double-click the email message to open it in a new window.
- From the menu icons at the top, click the ellipsis at the far right and select View message details. Full headers will appear in a pop-up window in the middle of the screen.
- Log in to Gmail.
- Open the email message.
- Click the down arrow next to Reply at the top of the message pane.
- Select Show Original. Full headers will appear in a new tab.
- Open Apple Mail.
- Click the email message from the message list to select it.
- From the View menu, select Message > Long Headers. The full headers will appear in the window below your inbox.