Making calls from your campus phone
As of 2018, all new phones being installed on the Evanston and Chicago campuses are programmed to make both domestic and international calls.
These exchanges are used by departments and offices at Northwestern. The instructions below should be used to make calls from these phone numbers.
312-503-nnnn 312-908-nnnn 847-467-nnnn 847-491-nnnn
These exchanges belong to University affiliates and partners. If you have one of these phone numbers, contact your organization's service desk for guidance in making calls from your phone.
312-695-nnnn (Northwestern Medicine) 312-227-nnnn (Lurie Children's Hospital)
312-238-nnnn (Shirley Ryan Ability Lab) 312-926-nnnn (Northwestern Memorial Hospital)
Calling other campus phone numbers
Calling off campus phone numbers
- Press 9 + 1 + area code + phone number
- This applies to all US phones, as well as other countries that use the North American Numbering Plan (e.g., Canada, Dominican Republic).
Calling off campus international phone numbers
- Press 9 + 011 + country code + city code + phone number + #
- Pause slightly as you enter each series of numbers
- Pressing # indicates you're done entering all the digits. Since the length of phone numbers, country codes and city codes can vary from country to country, using # to signal the end of your entry allows the phone system to begin dialing sooner.
- Country codes will be two or three digits long. If you find a three-digit country code that starts with a zero, ignore the zero when dialing.