Deleting a saved wireless profile
If you encounter difficulties connecting to the Northwestern wireless network, especially after a NetID password change, you may need to remove your saved wireless profile from your computer. Follow the steps below to remove your profile, then recreate it.
|"eduroam" will be the primary wireless network at Northwestern on December 20, 2021. The "Northwestern” network/SSID will no longer be a visible choice for connecting to the University’s wireless network during the fall quarter of 2021 and no longer an available connection on December 20, 2021. Learn more about this change.|
- Click Apple > System Preferences... > Network.
- Select Wi-Fi in the left-hand pane, then click Advanced....
- In the Wi-Fi tab, select Northwestern from the list of Preferred Networks, then click the minus sign (-).
- Click OK to close the Advanced Wi-Fi Preference pane.
- Click Apply.
- Press the Windows key or open the Start menu, then search for Settings.
- Select Network & Internet.
- Select Wi-Fi in the left panel.
- Click the link Manage Wi-Fi Settings. You might have to scroll down to find this setting if there are a large number of known or available networks.
- Under Manage Known Networks, select Northwestern and then click Forget.
- Press the Windows key or open the Start menu, then search for PC Settings.
- From the left side select the Connections tab, and under the Wi-Fi section click Manage Known Networks.
- Select Northwestern and click Forget.
- Press the Windows key, then enter Control Panel into the search bar and press the Enter key.
- In the Control Panel, select Network and Internet, then select Network and Sharing Center.
- On the left-hand pane, click Manage Wireless Networks.
- Right-click the current Northwestern connection and click Remove.
- If prompted with a warning click OK.
Using Windows command prompt
- Press the Windows key or click on the Start button, then search for cmd.
- Right-click the Command Prompt and click Run as Administrator.
- Once Command Prompt is open, type netsh wlan show profiles.
- For every wireless profile with Northwestern in the name (e.g., Northwestern, Northwestern1, Northwestern2), you will need to manually remove them.
- Type netsh wlan delete profile name=Northwestern. Repeat this process for every Northwestern Wireless profile you found.