Transferring files using Globus
This document describes how to transfer files using the Globus data transfer tool.
Globus allows users to securely and efficiently transfer files between Globus endpoints and collections. For more information on Globus, see Using the Globus Data Transfer Tool.
To initiate a file transfer:
- Go to https://www.globus.org/.
- Click Login in the upper right hand corner of the screen.
- Under "Use your existing organizational login", select Northwestern University and click continue. You will then be redirected to NU Online Passport to log in through a web SSO authentication or signed in automatically if your browser already has your credentials.
- Once you are logged in, you will see the File Manager screen. You should see a screen with two search boxes to select source (blue, left) and destination (black, right) collections. If not, select the two panel view in the upper right corner.
- Find the collection that contains file you want to transfer using the "Collection" search box on the left.
- For collections on personal endpoints, look under the "Your Collections" tab. See the "Using a personal endpoint" section for more information on configuring personal endpoints
- For managed endpoints, search for the Collection name and select from a list of search results. You may need to authenticate to access the endpoint. See the section for the endpoint you're using below for more information.
- Click on the name of the Collection. You should see a list of files and folders inside the collection you selected. Choose the files you want to transfer by clicking on the file. A check mark should appear to the left of the file.
- Next, find the destination collection as you did for the source collection, but in the right hand Collection search box. Then select the folder you want the file to be transferred to.
- Finally, click the blue Start button to start the transfer. A green notification will appear on the Activity shortcut in the Globus navigation menu to confirm that the transfer request has been submitted. You will also receive an email when the file transfer is complete.
You can review details of completed or current transfers by clicking the Activity shortcut. Once the transfer is completed, you will receive an email from Globus. You can view details on completed transfers going back 90 days.