Moving files from Box to SharePoint Manually
If a user needs to move files from Box to SharePoint, you must complete this manually. Permissions and versions do not follow the file.
Step 1: Download all files from Box locally to your computer.
To Download a Single File:
- Click next to a file's name to select it. The action toolbar will appear above your files in the top-right.
- Click the download icon to begin the download process.
To Download Multiple Items:
- Shift+click on multiple items to select them. The action toolbar will appear above your files in the top-right.
- Click Download to begin the download process. Your selected items will be downloaded together in a single zip file.
If you downloaded multiple files via a zip file you will need to unzip all files.
Step 2: Upload all files from your computer to SharePoint.
- Log into SharePoint via sharepoint.northwestern.edu.
- Navigate to the SharePoint site or folder where you wish the folders or files to reside.
- Select Upload at the top of the Documents library
- In the Add a document dialog box, select Browse to upload an individual file. Depending on the version of OneDrive or SharePoint that you're using, you may also be able to upload multiple files by holding down either the Ctrl or Shift key, and selecting more than one file.
- When you've selected the file or files to upload, select OK.
Upload large files or many files to a library
If you are uploading large files, or many files that add up to a large total size to a library, you may get errors due to the file size limit in SharePoint or timeout errors in your version of Internet Explorer. For information, see Manage large lists and libraries in SharePoint.
Long path and file names
When uploading files and folders, you need to be aware of path and file name length. SharePoint in Microsoft 365 and OneDrive support up to 400 characters for the total file and path length. SharePoint Server versions support up to 260 characters for the total file and path length. For information, see Invalid file names and file types in OneDrive and SharePoint.