NUFinancials Using the Contracted Services Form for U.S. Residents Job Aid
This article explains the process of engaging individuals to hire as independent contractors.
Using the Contracted Services Form for U.S. Residents
Effective 1/1/2015, the process of engaging individuals will require the completion of the Independent Contractor Questionnaire (ICQ) (http://www.northwestern.edu/hr/policies- forms/forms/payroll-administration/IndependentContractorQuestionnaire.pdf) and an evaluation by HR to determine whether an individual is an independent contractor or whether an employer-employee relationship exists.
- You will be instructed to hire or process the payment request through Payroll or make a vendor code request through Accounting Services and payment through Accounts Payable.
- The ICQ that has been reviewed and signed by HR must be attached to all vendor code requests for independent contractors effective 1/1/2015.
To make payments to U.S. individuals who are independent contractors, submit a completed and signed Contracted Services Form for U.S. Residents with an invoice and/or other documentation.
- The Contracted Services Form (http://www.northwestern.edu/financial-operations/policies-procedures/forms/contractedservices.pdf) (CSF) is also used for honoraria regardless of dollar amount.
- For reimbursing an independent contractor, a completed Visitor's Expense Report (http://www.northwestern.edu/financial-operations/policies-procedures/forms/visitors_exp_rpt.pdf ) documenting pre-approved expenses must accompany the Contracted Services Form and Payment Request for Contracted Services.
Note: Each time you open this form, a unique Request# is assigned in the barcode field.
- The request number is not final until the form is printed.
- This Request number can be used as the Invoice Number in the Payment Request.
Complete the Contracted Services Form
- Enter the Requestor and Department contact information. Select a Check Handling method.
Enter the Supplier's ID number in the Payee ID field.
- You can look this up using the vendor search in a Payment Request or via the Cognos SC025 Vendor Info Query report.
- If a supplier code does not exist, complete the Supplier Request form on the NUPortal, Payments tab.
- Enter the Contractor Information section.
- Enter University Payment Request dates, chart string(s), and Amounts.
- Send the form to the contractor (email, fax, or mail). Ask the contractor to sign the form and return it to you. Original signatures and documents are preferred (required when charged to a grant).
- Obtain the signatures of all applicable Approvers.
- Cross reference the Payment Request number on the original paper CSF.
- The signed and approved form can be electronically attached to the Payment Request. Once ASRSP applies their approval, they will send the CSF to Accounts Payable for approval.