NUFinancials Supervisor Expense Approval Job Aid
This is a guide for Expenses Supervisor and other approvers of expense reports.
- Expenses Electronic Approvals enable employee reimbursements to be submitted and approved using NUFinancials workflow.
- If you are the Expenses Supervisor for an employee or NU-employed student, you will receive an email (to your Northwestern email address) when an expense report requires your approval.
Expense Report Workflow Sequence
- Employee Certification
- Project Approver (if applicable)
- Department/Chart String Approvers (Level 1, 2, 3, as applicable)
- Expenses Supervisor
- ASRSP (if applicable)
- Accounts Payable
Step 1: Navigate to Approvals
This is a sample of the email notification you will receive:
- Click the blue hyperlink in the email to go directly to the Expense Report.
- Log In with your Net ID and Password.
- The Expense Report opens in NUFinancials.
- Review the Expense Report.
- At the top of the page, click Approve, Send Back (with Comments), or Hold.
- Clicking Approve is your electronic signature.
The Expense Report will be automatically routed for subsequent levels of approval.
Note: The Budget Check process automatically runs every 15 minutes. If you need to approve before the next process runs, you can click on the Budget Validation link within the expense approval page to manually run the Budget Check process.
Step 2: Alternate Navigation to NUFinancials Approval Inbox
If you do not have the approval notification email: you can login to NUFinancials to approve:
- Login to NUFinancials: nufin.northwestern.edu
- Click Approvals
- Select the Type/Category of Approval, either from the side bar, or directly clicking on an item.
- Follow the approval steps 2-4 above.