Entering Receipts Using Manage Requisitions and Add/Update Receipts in NUFinancials
There are two different ways to create a receipt in NUFinancials in order to receive against a Purchase Order: Managing Requisitions and Add/Update Receipts. Follow the steps in the guide to learn how to receive against a Purchase Order.
Why is receiving performed?
Receiving is part of the three-way match process between the voucher (invoice), the purchase order, and receipt that is required to authorize payment for non-catalog orders. Creating a receipt enables Accounts Payable to only pay for those goods and services that were provided to your department as ordered.
When are receipts required?
Receipts are required for non-catalog orders of $5,000 or more. Please enter receipts as soon as possible after receiving the product or service.
Can you use Add/Update Receipts to enter receipts for any non-catalog purchase order?
Yes. Additionally, Add/Update Receipts is the only way you can enter receipts for purchase orders that were changed as a result of a PO Change Request or were rolled as part of the PO Rollover process at the end of the Fiscal Year.
Are receipts always required for payments for orders?
- You do not need to enter receipts for:
- iBuyNU purchase orders
- Non-catalog purchase orders less than $5,000 are optional but not required.
How do I enter receipts on behalf of others?
If you need to enter receipts for another Requester, you can do it through Add/Update Receipts:
NUFinancials > Navigator > Purchasing > Receipts > Add/Update Receipts. You will need the Purchase Order number, which can be found in Manage Requisitions > LifeSpan > Purchase Order icon. For more information on entering receipts using the Add/Update menu, see Creating Receipts Using Add/Update Receipt in this document.
Note: Receipts for purchase orders that have been changed or rolled must be entered by using Add/Update Receipts: NUFinancials > Navigator > Purchasing > Receipts > Add/Update Receipts.
A receipt can be created from the Manage Requisition page by searching for the requisition id. Once the requisition is found and in a dispatched status, create the receipt by selecting ‘Receive’.
Navigation: NUFinancials > Employee Self-Service > Requisition > Manage Requisitions.
Note: An alternative way to access the Manage Requisitions page is: NavBar > Navigator > eProcurement > Manage Requisitions.
- In the Date From field, delete the default date. (It will expand the date range of your search)
- In Request Status, select PO(s) Dispatched from the drop-down menu.
- Click Search.
Note: Receiving is initially performed for requisitions where the purchase order has a request status of PO(s) Dispatched. If a purchase order has already been partially received, select Partially Received to find the requisition and associated purchase order.
You can also search for requisitions and associated purchase orders using the search criteria described below:
Ensure NWUNV, the default value, is selected.
Search for specific requisition by Requisition ID number.
Date From / Date To
Search for requisitions by a specific date range. The default date range is the last 7 days.
Search using your Requester NetID. By default, the Requester NetID is based on your NetID when you log in. You can also search using other Requester NetIDs to find requisitions other than your own. Note that the NetID must be capitalized to perform a search.
Search by user-defined requisition name or a portion of the name, if known.
Search for the user who created the requisition, if different.
Search by budget check status Error, Not Checked, or Valid.
Search by Purchase Order ID number, if available. This is the PUR#.
Follow the steps in Search for Requisition. A list of requisitions appears.
- Locate the requisition where the associated purchase order has a status of PO(s) Dispatched.
- Optional: Click the drop down arrow to the left of the requisition number to view the lifespan and the line items for a requisition.
- Click the ‘Select Action’ drop-down list and select Receive.
- Click Go.
Note: You can ONLY receive on purchase orders that are in Dispatched or Partially Received status.
- The Receive Items screen appears, containing each line item of the requisition. Click the checkbox to the left of the line you need to receive.
- Click Receive Selected.
- After clicking on ‘Receive Selected’, an editable version of the Receive Items screen appears. Change the Received Quantity amount to the quantity received.
- Click Save Receipt.
Note: Do not use the Reject Shipment link. If merchandise is not in an acceptable condition, contact the vendor to arrange for a return/exchange.
- A confirmation message appears containing the receipt ID number.
- To go back to the Manage Requisitions page, click Return to Manage Requisitions.
- Repeat steps to find requisition(s) and enter receipts for any remaining line items from items received.
To search for requisitions that have remaining lines and quantities to receive, you can search by the Request Status of Partially Received.
When all lines of the requisition are fully received, the requisition's Request Status is Received.
Follow steps above in the Search for a Requisition and Creating a Receipt from the Manage Requisition Page sections. Blankets, Subcontractor Receive by Dollar Amount requisitions are the ONLY requisitions you receive by the dollar amount and NOT quantity.
- In the Received Amount field, enter the invoiced amount for the line item:
- Enter the amount of the invoice.
- The received amount cannot be greater than the default value shown.
- Click Save Receipt.
- A new receipt number is generated.
Note: For each invoice received for item or service, repeat these steps to enter a new receipt. You will have multiple receipts for the purchase order.
If the purchase order can be received in full, only one receipt needs to be created.
For purchase orders that have a remaining amount left to receive, enter new receipts as completed and invoiced. Be sure to click Add each time you enter a receipt, and then search using the purchase order ID number. After you have finished entering all receipts for services provided, the amount-only purchase order may have a remaining balance encumbered. To close an amount-only order, you should request to close the PO using the PO Change Request Form in NUFinancials.
Navigation: NUFinancials > NavBar > Navigator > Purchasing > Receipts > Add/Update Receipts.
A Receiving page with search criteria will appear.
- Click Add under Add a New Value.
Note: Each time you enter a receipt for a shipment or delivery, click Add to create a new receipt.
- Enter the PO ID in the ID field.
- Click Search.
Search results appear for each line of the Purchase Order ID.
- Select the line that you want to receive on by putting a checkmark in the checkbox.
- Click OK.
The Maintain Receipts Page will appear. Now you can Receive on the PO line.
- In Receipt Price, enter the invoiced amount for the line if different than the default value:
- Enter the actual amount of the invoiced service.
- You cannot enter an amount that is greater than the default value shown in Receipt Price.
- Click Save.
After you save the receipt, the following fields are updated:
- Receipt ID number is generated when the receipt is saved.
- Receipt Status is now Fully Received even if one line has a remaining quantity. This status applies to the receipt, not the purchase order or requisition.
- Receipt Price is updated with any changes you entered.
- Status of the individual receipt lines is Received.
For purchase orders with lines that have a remaining amount left to receive, enter a new receipt for the actual amount of the service, as invoiced. Be sure to click Add each time you enter a receipt, and then search using the purchase order ID number.
After you have finished entering all receipts for services provided, the amount-only purchase order may have a remaining balance encumbered. To close an amount-only order, you should request to close the PO using the Purchase Order Change Request Form in NUFinancials.
Enter A Receipt Based on Quantity
Navigation: Login to NUFinancials > NavBar > Navigator > Purchasing > Receipts > Add/Update Receipts.
- Follow the steps 1 through 5 on the Enter Receipts Based on Amount section.
- Change the Receipt Qty number to the quantity you received.
- Click Save.
Follow the steps 1 through 5 on Creating Receipts Using Add/Update Receipt section.
- Click on the More Details tab.
- Click the Magnifying glass under Reject Action.
- Select Return For Replacement from the look up window.
- Click the Magnifying glass under Reject Reason.
- Select Damaged.
- Click Save.
- A Receipt ID will automatically generate.
How can you find a list of outstanding orders that need to be received?
If you have Cognos access, you can obtain a report of purchases that need a receipt based on the Ship To location:
Navigation: NUPortal > System Login tab > Cognos. Cognos Connection > Finance, Facilities, and Research Administration > School or Central > Supply Chain > SC020 Delivery Report.
- Under Ship To column, in the Keywords field, search for Ship To codes used on your order(s). Note that Options default to Starts with any of these keywords. Select another option to expand or restrict your search.
- From the search results, click your Ship To, then click the Insert button to move the Ship To into Choices.
- Click Finish to start report.