Finding the MAC address on different devices
You will generally need your MAC address to configure or troubleshoot network issues on your device. Be sure to use the correct MAC address depending on your connection type; many devices have both a wireless and a wired MAC address. If your device is not listed here, please check your user manual or contact the device manufacturer for device-specific instructions.
- Download the Amazon Alexa app to your phone or computer and sign in with your Amazon account.
- Connect to the wireless network transmitted by your Echo device.
- The wireless MAC address for your Echo can be found at the bottom of the Echo Setup screen in the Alexa app.
Amazon Fire TV
- Plug in your Amazon Fire TV stick into your TV
- If this is the first time using this Fire TV device, the wireless MAC address will appear in the list of wireless networks during setup at the far-right of the list. If this Fire TV stick has been used in the past, navigate to Settings > System > About > Network and the wireless MAC address will be listed at this screen.
The specific instructions for finding the MAC address of an Android device may vary slightly based on the manufacturer. Below are the instructions for default Android 7.1 Nougat (used on Pixel smartphones):
- Open the Settings app.
- Select About Phone/Tablet > Status
- The MAC address will appear under Wi-Fi MAC address.
- Open the Settings app.
- Select General > About.
- The wireless MAC address is listed next to Wi-Fi Address.
- Click the Apple button in the top-left corner of the screen and select System Preferences.
- Select Network in the System Preferences menu.
- Select the interface you want to find the MAC address for from the list on the left side of the Network window, then click Advanced.
- Click the Hardware tab. The MAC address will then be listed.
For Wireless MAC address:
- Plug in your Apple TV and follow the set up until you reach the step to connect to a network.
- Select Device-Northwestern and attempt to connect. This will fail, which is normal.
- The wireless MAC address should now be displayed on the Apple TV's screen.
- Connect your Apple TV to a Northwestern Ethernet port.
- On the Apple TV, navigate to Settings > General > Network. Record the MAC address listed.
- Plug in your Google Home.
- Download and open the Google Home app on your phone.
- You should see your Google Home listed. Select it then press Set Up.
- Accept the prompt allowing your phone to connect to your Google Home.
- Answer the set up questions listed.
- Enter the location of your Google Home and select Continue
- The wireless MAC address will be listed at the bottom right corner of the screen.
- Open the Command Prompt by right-clicking on the Start button (located in the lower-left corner of the screen) and select Command Prompt from the menu. Alternatively, press the Windows Key on your keyboard, type cmd into the Search bar, then press Enter on your keyboard.
- Enter ipconfig /all into the Command Prompt window and press Enter on your keyboard.
- The wireless MAC address will be listed under Wireless LAN adapter Wi-Fi next to Physical Address. The wired MAC address will be listed under Ethernet adapter Ethernet next to Physical Address.
Microsoft Windows Phone
- On the main Windows phone screen, swipe left and select Settings.
- In the Settings screen, select About > more info.
- The MAC address will be listed under phone information.
Microsoft Xbox 360
- From the Xbox 360 main menu, go to My Xbox > System Settings > Network Settings > Configure Network
- Select the Additional Settings tab and then select Alternate Mac Address.
- The wired and wireless MAC addresses will be listed at the bottom of this screen
Microsoft Xbox One
If you are setting up your Xbox One for the first time:
- Complete the initial setup until you reach the network connection step.
- Attempt to connect to Device-Northwestern. This will fail, which is normal.
- Select Fix it.
- Wait for the troubleshooter to fail.
- The MAC addresses will now be listed. Use Wired MAC for Ethernet connections and Wireless MAC for Wi-Fi connections.
- From the Xbox One home screen, select Settings.
- Under the Console tab, select Network.
- Select Advanced Settings. The wired and wireless MAC addresses will be displayed.
- From the 3DS's main menu, go to System Settings > Internet Settings > Other Information.
- Select Confirm MAC Address. The wireless MAC address will appear.
- Select Wii Settings.
- Select Internet > Console Information.
- The wireless MAC address is listed under MAC Address. The wired MAC address is listed under LAN Adapter MAC Address.
Nintendo Wii U
- From the Wii U main menu, select System Settings.
- Select Internet > View MAC Address. The wired/wireless MAC address will be listed.
- From the Switch's Home menu, go to System Settings
- Scroll down and select Internet.
- The MAC addres will appear under System MAC Address.
- From the Roku home screen, select Settings > Player Info.
- The wired MAC address is listed next to Ethernet MAC address. The wireless MAC address is listed next to Wireless MAC address.
Sony Playstation 3
- From the Playstation 3 main menu, select Settings > System Settings > System Information.
- The wireless and wired MAC address will be listed on the screen.
Sony Playstation 4
- On the Playstation 4 main menu, go to Settings > System > System Information.
- The wired address will appear next to MAC Address (LAN Cable). The wireless MAC address will appear next to MAC Address (Wi-Fi).