Managing the quota (mailbox size) of your @northwestern.edu (Office 365) account using Outlook 2016 for macOS
Your Exchange mailbox has a finite storage quota (25GB for faculty and staff). It's good practice to monitor your quota and delete unnecessary email messages to keep your mailbox well below quota.
- Control-click your Northwestern mailbox and click Properties...
- Click Storage to see your overall usage, as well as the amount of space each folder is using. Click OK when you're done.
- In the main Outlook window, Control-click Junk E-mail, then click Empty Folder.
- Do the same with the Deleted Items.
- Above the inbox column, click on the By: menu and select Size in the drop down menu. In the same drop down menu, make sure it is organize with Largest on top. Delete emails as necessary.
- Repeat this step except organizing by Date Received.
- Open Outlook > Preferences...
- Click General and uncheck the box named Hide On My Computer folders.
- Close the Preferences window and go back to your main Outlook window.
- In the left hand menu, create a new folder by right-clicking On My Computer. Name the new folder.
- Open Tools > Rules.
- In the Rules window, under Server Rules, select your Northwestern email account.
- Click the plus (+) button to add a new rule.
- Name the rule.
- Edit the first criterion to Date Received and Is Greater Than and enter an appropriate time frame after it.
- Edit the second criterion to Move Message and move the message to the folder you created earlier. Click OK when you're done entering criteria.
- To activate this rule on your current mailbox, go to Message > Rules and select the rule you have created.