Changing the display name on your @northwestern.edu (Exchange/Office 365) account
By default, your display name is your name as it appears in the online directory. This is generally your legal name, which may include your middle name. Depending on your status with the University, you may be able to change your display name.
Faculty and Regular Staff
- Log in to myHR at https://myhr.northwestern.edu
- Select Personal Details > Online Directory
- Click Names (Legal, Professional/Published/Spouse)
- Enter or edit your Professional/Published Name
- Check the Professional Name Indicator checkbox and click Save
- Log in to CAESAR at https://www.northwestern.edu/caesar
- On the Student Homepage, click the Profile tile
- From the left hand navigation list, select Names
- Next to Preferred, click the pencil icon
- Enter your preferred first and/or middle name and click Save; note that you cannot modify your last name
Temporary employee (non-student)
You do not have the ability to change your display name. Per Human Resources, you don't have access to set a professional name, and can only use your full legal name as your display name.
Your display name is defined within NUValidate. If your name is incorrect or you need to change it, send an email message to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Feinberg Medical Resident
Your display name is defined in CAESAR by the Graduate Medical Education (GME) Office. However, you can't log in to CAESAR yourself to create a preferred name. Instead, send an email message to email@example.com asking them to create one for you.