Managing access to Research Data Storage Service (RDSS) Shares
This document describes how to manage access to Research Data Storage Service (RDSS) shares.
After the initial share setup, the RDSS allows share owners/managers to control who has access to the files and folders stored within their share using the Self-Service Group Management Tool.
Note: FSMResFiles share owners do not have access to this tool and should contact FSM-IT (firstname.lastname@example.org) for help managing user access to their shares.
Access to each share is controlled through two Active Directory (AD) groups:
- NU SMB <sharename> Read-Only gives users read only access
- NU SMB <sharename> Read-Write gives users read-write access
Adding/removing users from these groups will grant/remove permissions to the RDSS share.
To access these AD groups:
- Log in to the Self-Service Group Management Tool with your Northwestern NetID and password
- Click on My AD groups in the left hand panel.
- You should see a read only and a read-write group for each share that you own/manage
See Managing group permissions using the Self-Service Group Management tool for instructions on how to add or remove users from these lists.